Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rest In Peace Emi san

One of the reason why I became a liberal was for the freedom. The freedom to choose, The freedom to be free. The freedom to be what I want to be and not what others make me. I look to others for inspiration and take from them that which I can use in my life. One such inpiration was Frank Emi. He passed away and I'm bummed.


Frank Emi, Leader of Heart Mountain Draft Resisters, Dies at 94

Nisei defied the government during war, and later led movement to educate the public on the resistance movement
I had the honor to meet Frank san. (the san in Japanese shows respect) at the APSU (Asian and Pacific Islander Student Union) Conference and with the NCRR. He was a proud man, he was a warrior, but he looked upon me as his equal. His voice was powerful and presence was strong. He stood up to the government but had a humbling spirit. When he was 73 years old and even at that age, I dare not get him mad, he would whip by butt! Ironically? As strong and powerful a warrior as he was? Like many Japanese American men he would never cross a woman who is cooking. As much as a liberal as he was, as much as he wanted to help. The women say stay out and he did.

Frank san was a great person, and I would sit and listen when he spoke. I would be enthralled by his speeches and learn from his experience. Here is Emi san's comments on Redress: http://www.ncrr-la.org/reader/Microsoft%20Word%20-%2033.pdf. I miss the guy. I really do, but I believe the torch of freedom and civil rights have been passed on to us. Lets not let the flame die.

No comments:

Post a Comment